Saturday, February 05, 2005

Self

So Texas Sarah and I have discussed this at length recently... It's funny that she brought it up because I had spent time thinking about it over the last week only to have her mention it since she's learning about it in her philosophy class. At any rate, the topic is self.

It cracks me up when people say, "That is so not me" or "I'm just not an office person" or words to that effect. Because in my mind, who you are is a function of what you do. So in some way, what you're doing is reflected in who you are, whether you like doing it or not. Of course, your motive is likewise reflected. So maybe you aren't an office person, but you're willing to do it for a six-figure salary. Ha! That says something about who you are.

So I've come to terms with the fact that I am who I am in a physical, spiritual, mental sense and that I am what I do. "Nick is a maniac" refers to all of those categories, both in a potential sense and a historical pattern of behavior sense. Right? :)

Perhaps people mean that they don't want to be like that. Which makes sense. I don't want to be a woman; hence, I avoid wearing dresses. Not that I....nevermind... But Pink just isn't my color, and she isn't my girlfriend either. I don't want to be in an office all-day, every day. But it sure is nice when it's below zero. For that, I have a cozy place with a nice wood door and an oversized window. Ahh....

Texas Sarah is far brighter than I and could carry this conversation much further, but I'm out. Hope everyone enjoyed my half birthday on Wednesday. :-o

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home