Monday, January 03, 2005

Different Worlds

Oh, what a great week skiing! It was a much-welcome break to take off and ski.

During lunch today, I talked to someone who leaves near the UW-Milwaukee campus and works as a paramedic and fire fighter. He grew up in the area and went to the University School in River Hills. Which, as a high school, has higher tuition than my grad school...

He mentioned a classmate who received $100,000,000 on his 18th birthday. Yes, that's $100M. It didn't surprise me at all when he said his friend ended up finishing high school. After rehab. While first I can't imagine getting $100M from my parents (my dad said don't hold my breath), I wonder what the parent had in mind. Did they really expect an 18-year-old to stop and think before spending? Oh yeah, his first thought will be charity followed by investments.

It also put into perspective the $20 that I got for Christmas from my grandmother. Who could afford a couple more zeros but thought better of it. It also made the $5,000 that some of my distant cousins got for Christmas. And $5k seemed big until today's story! So, Grandma, while I've already finished high school without going through rehab, I promise to use that $20 well. And Granddad, thanks for the $40. I'll let both know of you know what I do with it, and I hope it makes you smile.

2 Comments:

At 6:15 PM, Blogger Beeks said...

Ask your Dad if he'd give me $100M!

 
At 12:58 AM, Blogger Nick said...

I keep wanting to reply, but I can't think of what to say, Beeks. Other than "fat chance" of you getting it, me asking him, or him having it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home